View Single Post
Old 2008-10-12, 4:10pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

Beth, I just re read your post from earlier. I make a lot of my long ornaments out of 15mm clear. I used to save all my scrap glass( from neon) that was about a foot long for making ornaments. I would seal the ends together and then pull a point where I had sealed it. That left me enough of a handle to be able to pull a point from the other side and not fry my fingers.

I tend to use every bit of tubing... so even on the bigger size tubing, when they get to short to pull a point on the rmeaining end, I seal them together and pull a point out over the glass I sealed. Hope that made sense. So, start saving...

and all neon sign tubing is 90 coe.

I really like the technolux barium strontium glass that they make for neon. Its less shocky than the lead glass, and doesnt turn black on you either. They have some yummy colors too, and it comes in up to 18 and 25 mm if I recall correctly. The bigger sizes have to be special ordered. Another thing on my list to give a try... funds and time being the limiting facors at the moment. Red tubing has a tendency to "liver out" basically turn a yucky color when blown.. but have not tried the technolux red in blown work yet.

and since you do neon.. this is totaly off topic... I have some old cobalt blue and ruby red tubing in 10mm from the 50s. Its not a soda lime glass like the colors thes days, its a lead based glass and is butter soft and yummy just like bending clear tube. I also have some of the old black out glas. back in the days before they had block out paint they used to splice in an opaque black glass.

If you ever find yourself down my way, orlando, let me know, we can play.

Candice

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."