View Single Post
Old 2010-02-02, 11:22am

It looks like you are are supplied by Air Liquide. It looks like they sell acetylene, MAPP, and propane in their Flamal line. However, I have also found another brochure that says Flamal is a propylene-based fuel.

Presumably, since you mentioned that the gas you were sold is like MAPP, we can exclude the possibility that you were sold acetylene. However, I would check, just in case.

I'd say that if you are not concerned about the warranty, you can use the Flamal safely. Then, when you go to get your tank refilled, you probably could exchange it for an equivalent tank filled with propane, since propane is the less expensive and more commonly available fuel. Otherwise, you probably could go back to the weld shop and exchange for a Air Liquide Flamal propane tank (assuming the Flamal brand still includes all the gases mentioned above).

I guess the best thing is to call the weld shop and see what options they can provide, and hopefully they will just exchange the tank. Tell them that they said you could use Flamal, but the manufacturer says that the burner is designed for propane and has specifically said that use of propylene will void the warranty.

Last edited by De Anza Art Glass Club; 2010-02-02 at 11:28am.