View Single Post
Old 2011-07-07, 4:09am
Millionaire in Training

Okay, so my preliminary findings on this glass...I used a dark opaque peach and a medium opaque peach and these were very nice. Melted nicely although they took a very long time. The beads look gorgeous and will post when they are annealed.

However, Honeydew was not nice. Very bad Honeydew! It's very similar in color to CIM's Dirty Martini, except that I think it was made to devitrify. Not only that, the bead broke in half in the fiber blanket! The other beads made with Devardi did not do that. I'm hoping they will anneal fine in the kiln. I know I should probably run the kiln as I'm making beads, but I don't make enough beads at one time to justify this.

I really like the Honeydew color on the rod, but while I was melting it and using a marver to help it along, it was actually cool enough that I could hear the marver tinking against it! Yet with just the slightest heat, it devitrified. I even put it further out in the flame. I did everything that was mentioned for success in working Devardi glass, and then I just said screw it, as it was already ruined and put it in higher heat and closer in to the torch head. The color seemed to burn out to the point that it looked like Moretti Green Tea. When it cooled this is the color it became.

Has anyone had a chance to work with this color? I just don't think I'm willing to spending two hours making a 1" lentil. Perhaps this color can only be used as surface decoration...sigh

Here is a picture of the devit over the whole of the bead: