View Single Post
Old 2008-06-13, 7:46am
RaymondMillbrae

Sure,

I'll post the pictures of the completed project. As a matter of fact, I'll even snap a few extra pictures BEFORE it's completed and painted, so that you can see the parts easier.

But just to give you a "taste" of my madness: the duct tube from the rear of the hood, down to the top of the fan, will be PERMANENTLY attached. (This will be painted white). Then I will have a 90-degree elbow protruding out from the bottom of the fan - in the direction of the sliding glass door - which will also be painted white and be permanently attached. (This will NOT protrude out from under the table). Then a 10' foot long, steel, duct tube will be attached to this 90-degree elbow. (The 10' foot tube is the piece that will be able to be removed when not in use).

Did that make sense?

As for the two OxyCons. Hmmmmmm.

Well, my wife and myself are still working exclusively with 104 glass, and the Mega Minor. When we were initially deciding what equipment to purchase, we chose equipment that would enable us to do what we wanted to do AT THE TIME...and a little more in case we decided to grow. We wanted the option of being able to work with boro in the future. (Boro needs more heat to work with). The two OxyCons, together, put out 5LPM of oxygen...and that's it. Just because I have two M-5 Oxycons, does NOT mean that they will put out 10LPM of oxygen. We purchased two of them because, together, they put out extra air pressure that would be needed if we wanted to dabble in boro.

I'm a locksmith and safe technician. And since I can remember, the old addage, "Always buy a little more than you need," has ALWAYS been true. Not only for my tools of the trade, but for all my hobby equipment as well. And I have NEVER regretted it, or thought I had unnecessarily wasted my monies.

As for the Jen-Ken kiln...it's dee bomb!!

For the money, you cannot get a better deal. It is the AFP3 model. (Click HERE to see the specs). I purchased it from the TWO LASSES girls on eBay. They sell it cheaper than anyone else. (Click HERE to see).

Now for the tiles. They are stone tiles that we purchased from Home Depot...or was it Lowes? (They're both a 10 minute drive from us, and we go to both of them equally, for variety). I told my DWP that since it was gonna be HER toy, that she could choose any color/style tile she wanted. So she ended-up getting a "Mt. Everest Verde" color.

And very lastly...the marble slab you have.

It would be GREAT as a work surface, under - or in front of - your torch. I love marble, and have made some small leather-working tables, with marble inserts, in the past. (These are small, and made to place on your lap or on a table top, to carve leather).

Yea...I love to work and carve leather as well.

Anyhoo...I built a custom stand stand for my kiln, and it has raised it around 6" inches off the table. And at this height, the table can still be touched with your hand after it stays at annealing temps for hours. (The stand will also be painted white when I am done). So if you raise the kiln an extra few inches off the marble slab, it should be fine. But it would be MUCH NICER as a work area for jewlery-making...or something like that.

Oh yea...not wanting to toot my horn...here's a link to the kiln stand I made. (Click HERE to check it out).

OK, that's about it for now. Hope that helped answer a few of your questions.

Toodle-Loo.

In Christ: Raymond

Last edited by RaymondMillbrae; 2008-06-13 at 8:13am. Reason: Cuz my momma said I could!