View Single Post
Old 2006-08-11, 10:49am
First star on the right..

Default Consistant bead sizes

Ive been wanting to post this tip for a while now and just now got around to taking pics.... ignore the background..lol... ( my tables messy)

But here's my tip for consistant sized beads....

Use this tool.. ( its a dremel cutting tool)

Cut pieces in uniform sizes....

See Below for how to do this.

Punty them up..( Punty means to attatch the short glass to a mandrel to hold it) . I use a old mandrel i have bent.. you must HEAT the mandrel too for it to stick.. use your fingers to hold glass unless its very short then use your needlenose.

Melt it as usual.. * Ive been asked to expand on this part.*
WEhen you wind your glass, use a small footprint ( which is where your glass touches the mandrel)
Wind it up onto itself like a disk.
Melt it slowly, not letting it fold back upon itself. Use gravity, it is your friend. And you can take the bead out of the flame to roll slowly to even it out. Dont "Spin it" go slow, letting it take shape by itself. It will then form a nice Dimple ( the indented part, like a donut) and will shape up nicely into a round.

Viola! consistant bead sizes. Hope this helps someone. I know i had a lot of trouble with consistant sizes before I McGyvered this out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TessKay; 2006-08-12 at 9:14am.