View Single Post
Old 2013-06-08, 6:42pm
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Hardcastle View Post
Here's the best advice I've ever gotten for doing things like wings where they need to be identical: do the second one first. Makes no sense until you're sitting at the torch... lol.

Btw the red butterfly is really beautiful - it has a wrinkly feel to it that probably came from struggling to get them the same size or whatnot, but you should consider that as a legit process because the outcome is very butterfly-ey.

http://mivvie.files.wordpress.com/20...ings.jpg?w=238

Also, with regard to the legs, you might consider a two stage process to creating them. Make the body and wings and leave six studs from which you can then draw out the legs from later on. Since the stud is a small tip the flame won't shatter it as long as you keep it off the body. Good luck!
Kind of you to say, Max.

I did do the little Italian trick of leaving the nubs for the legs; my problem there was that each leg was so delicate, a couple mm thin, that being even slightly near to the flame while I pulled out the leg next to it caused it to wither upwards. I think I not only need to make as narrow of a flame as possible next time, but also to try and space the legs out more.

I do only have 70 hrs or so at the torch under my belt so far, and I have a tendency to try to run before I can walk; (I get so excited by the possibilities!) I really do need to focus on mastering basic heat control more than anything.