View Single Post
Old 2005-07-10, 1:31am
Voodoo Barfly Priestess

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAurelius
point of penetration
If you guys keep saying this, I'm going to have to get a Mr. Smiley... uh... artwork!

I do not know what all the regs are, so I'm not even going to try to argue.

All I know is, I would have shut-off valves on either side of the wall, so that you can turn the gas off easily from either place. Just common sense. Better to have an extra shut-off valve outside, just in case the main valve on the tank fails. Most BBQ-style propane tanks have fairly crappy valves, anyway, so better safe than sorry.

If I were running propane to a surface mix torch through the wall, here's the set-up I would suggest. It is not necessarily the best, but as far as I know, it is up to code here in the backwater of Louisiana. I talked to my gas guy before he installed my natural gas line, in case I ever wanted to switch to propane, and this is what he told me.

Tank to pipe to shut-off valve right outside the wall secured to the wall to pipe through the wall to shut off valve right inside the wall secured to the wall to regulator to quick disconnects/ flashback arrestors to hose to torch. More pipes/ elbows, etc. if necessary.

I do not know for sure, since I am running natural gas that my gas guy installed, but it makes sense to me. Please feel free to rip it to shreds or correct it if it is incorrect.