Thread: Pipe tutorials
View Single Post
Old 2012-09-17, 6:50am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyip View Post
The crack-off method is useful for beads, but I'm not a fan of it in functional pieces. It can leave lovely glass dust for your customers to inhale. There are ways to minimize the problem, and at least its not DRILLED like cheap Asian (india/china) pieces... Just think we should strive to be better than that. Glad that you're still practicing. You'll get it eventually. It's not one of my better skills either.

In the meantime, check this out: http://theblastshield.com/sophieta.html
Very cool tools yo! I want one of these for sure. As far as the tare off method, I assume you mean pulling off the blow tube and opening the mouth piece with a punty rod? I've never been able to do this. Half the mouth piece is gone before I can finally get the glass to pop. As I understand it you need pressure in side the piece for this to work well. Moisture in the trapped air is heated and expands. I understand the concern about the dust and I have even seen, not had but seen, glass chips in pieces. Not my pieces. Are these tools the way most do it or do I just need to work on the punty technique more? I swear that's how the dude I worked and apprenticed through did it. I'm just terrible at it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Carlisle on Tanks/Scorpion on Oxy-con