View Single Post
Old 2007-09-03, 11:38am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Lutman View Post
You have to experiment to find out what works, and what doesn't, just like you do when you're using some of the finicky 104 glasses together.
Exactly.

For me personally, I try things and keep good notes.

Folks, what we do is artistic science. It's not as simple as matching COEs: Just because two rods of glass are marked 104 does not mean that they are compatible. Nor does a difference in COE mean they are NOT compatible.

I've spoken before of an experience I had with two glasses. TESTED COEs of 104. The viscosity was way off, however. The result was explosive. Literally. I'm STILL picking chunks of glass out of my kiln from that little experiment from three years ago. LOL!

ETA: Dennis, I'm always willing to take a risk under certain circumstances. IMO, taking risks is an integral part of being an artist. How do we move our art forward if we're not willing to push the envelope and go where others fear to tread? Yes, I'm a risk-taker. But not all willy-nilly, by a long shot. I am constantly educating myself about glass and all its properties. This gives me the knowledge and power to make good decisions, even when I'm trying something new and potentially risky.

Also Available in
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Tink; 2007-09-03 at 11:44am.