View Single Post
Old 2012-07-21, 8:11am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellaBlue View Post
Kalera,

I've spent the past couple of days reading though all the responses here. Thank you so much for this act of generosity - you are truly a gracious lady and a wonderful glass artist. I already held you in high esteem, and my respect for you has only increased.

You've inspired me to drag out the frits I hardly ever play with, the foil I use not frequently enough, and the boro I haven't played with in a while. I love the recipes and formulas you've given us, but here are the real messages I've taken away from your posts. Note: I'm paraphrasing from memory, so I hope I'm not misrepresenting, but this is what I heard and my take-aways:

#1 Kalera lesson:

Paraphrased message:
I mixed a bunch of frit that I had and I loved the result AND I had a bunch of unlabeled boro shorts so I just striped a bunch of them over clear to make cane and learned alot about how boro works in the flame

Takeaway: Use what you have, experiment, learn from what happens, and use it to develop your own look and style

# 2 Kalera lesson

Paraphrased message: That's just regular xxx base glass coverd in yyy foil/transparent/frit AND I used zzz inexpensive tool to do that

Takeaway: You don't need a whole lot of fancy tools, expensive glass or elaborate techniques to do beautiful work. A good sense of design and color and excellent workmanship will carry you. (Personal addendum: I've decided to pass on a bunch of expensive glass and tools for right now and am signing up for art classes - design, drawing, painting - at my local community college. I think in the long run my work will be better for it)

#3 Kalera Lesson

Paraphrased message: That (cane/frit/glass) is no longer available so now I use (some substitute/something I custom mix)

Take away: Don't be afraid to use what you have. When it is gone, you will find or make something to use in its place.

#4 Kalera Lesson
Paraphrased message: I don't have any special way of making them all the same size, I just make so many of them they mostly come out that way.

Take away: No substitute for the wonderful workmanship that comes from PPP. (Personal takeway - I need to spend some more time doing consistent basic things and a little less time (not none, just less) fiddling with elaborate techniques that do not really contribute as much to the development of my basic workmanship skills)

I know there are many more lessons you have given us in here (especially with regard to the business end) but these are the ones that jumped out as relevant to me, right now. Maybe others will share some of the lessons (beyond just recipes) they've taken away from your posts.

Thank you again for your generosity.
I love this! Thank you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.