View Single Post
Old 2007-05-02, 7:43pm

I haven't taken photos yet of my wig wags but here's how I do mine.

1. I make a large gather of my base color and then using my large graphite mashers, squeeze it to a barrel shape and blunt up the end.

2. Then I lay my stripes of color along the length of the barrel, sometimes layering two colors on top of one another.

3. After I have the desired amount of colors, I then tip the barrel down into the flame (my hand end raised up). As the end begins to melt to the point where the stripes are melted into the base, I punty up to the end (metal mandrel for me). I then to slowly pull and twist. It's a slow section by section deal. I also like to add more oxy to my flame to make it smaller. That way I'm controlling more precisely where the heat is.

4. Twist away from yourself (and pull), allow the stringer section to cool. Heat the glass with the flame directed to the barrel end, but not at the stringer already made. Bring out of the flame. Pull and twist in the opposite direction (towards yourself). The whole time I keep the rod of glass at an angle with my hand end up. Repeat this step until you've reached the end of the barrel.

I have found that if I keep the angle and the flame directed at the barrel end with quick flashes, I don't lose control. With more practice, the smoother your stringer becomes. Hope this helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by hotcoles; 2007-05-09 at 3:09pm.