View Single Post
Old 2011-09-02, 1:48pm
professional gimme fiver

Default Paragon Bluebird Kiln Questions

Ok, so I just have a few questions regarding the Paragon Bluebird kiln schedule that I'm going to use. Many thanks to Paul Ewing for the schedule.

On the Hold 3 & Hold 4 cycles: why hold for only 1 minute? What's the benefit and why should I do it?

At the end where he discusses "skipping out" of the Hold 1 cycle to go to the annealing cycle: how do I do that? In the past, every time I try to push the cycle ahead I end up dumping myself out of the menu and back to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ewing View Post

Soft Glass Annealing Schedule:

Ra 1(Ramp 1) = 1400 ( degrees per hour to ramp at ) your controller may say FULL

oF 1(Temperature 1) = 950 ( lower than annealing temp, referred to as the 'garaging' temp )

Hld1(Hold 1) = 4.00 ( 4 hours hold time ) the amount of time you have to work

Ra 2(Ramp 2) = 1400 ( it will only take a few minutes to go from 950 to 968 )

oF 2(Temperature 2) = 968 ( annealing temp )

Hld2(Hold 2) = 1.00 ( hold for 1 hour, the ANNEAL SOAK time ) Sufficient for a 1” bead

Ra 3 (Ramp 3) = 120 ( equates to 2 degrees per minute, the ANNEAL RAMP )

oF 3(Temperature 3) = 848 ( well below the 860 'strain point' to be safe )

Hld3(Hold 3) = .01 ( hold for 1 minute )

Ra 4 (Ramp 4) = 200 (controlled cool off, some people don’t use this step)

oF 4(Temperature 4)= 400(the temperature a which your kiln will shut off and cool on its own)

Hld4(Hold 4)= .01 (hold for 1 minute)

With Hld1 = 4.00, the kiln will hold at the 950 "garaging" temp for 4 hours. If you make beads for a longer time you can increase the number. Don’t shorten it though because you can “skip” out and go to the annealing step when you are finished working.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.