View Single Post
Old 2007-09-29, 2:44pm
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

Thank you for posting those links to the Craftweb site. Very fascinating reading. I can't wait to tell my dad about that site. He started blowing glass in 1971 I think, and probably knew a lot of the people posting there. He had a one-man studio until '81 and did all his glass color batching and blowing without any assistants. A lot of the technical stuff he's talked about started to make sense when I read through those links. There really is so much more to glass compatibility than COE. I'm kind of glad that lampworking is less technical though- we can get away with mixing a broader range of glass than the glassblowers and casters can- so I won't need a degree in chemistry to make pretty stuff that won't break. (Plus- it's a bead- if it breaks it's not the end of the world. Try, try again, right?)

Thanks again,

Kelly

PS I was reading somewhere- can't remember- that Lucio Bubacci was mixing COEs in a single piece- like starting with 90 as a foot, then mixing 90-96 for the stem, then 96, then 96-104 mixed, then 104 for the bowl of the piece...and he was successful? did anyone else read this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.