View Single Post
Old 2006-08-09, 9:47am
Certified Glassaholic!

Humidity really affects the bead release and down here in the south it can be a huge problem.

I use Fosterfire but use the heavy duty stuff. The consistency that works best for me is like a pancake batter that pours easily - not thick and slow moving.

I find that I have very few problems with cracking or flaking bead release but I always try to heat the mandrel and release to a kind of orangey glow to get the moisture out before applying the glass.

It really is trial and error. If you're affected by humidity that's probably a big reason for the flaking. Quick note though...I dip my mandrels by the hundreds and they sit out in the garage until they're all used up and I rarely have flaking issues so perhaps it's a matter of tweaking the release, prepping your mandrels or just heating them up enough before working them to get the best results.

Let us know how it goes!

-Yee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.