View Single Post
Old 2020-05-23, 11:02pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
It looks like you are working hard at making a good space. I hope you have many happy and productive hours there. Some people never do sit, they just feel better standing, no right or wrong. Some stand and sit depending on how they feel best for each task. It is looking like a studio to me

Some safety thoughts though:

Does the exhaust tubing extend when the torch is running? Can you extend it far enough to get it away from the garage door so the fumes are at least 10 feet from the door? If it is right by the door, it will be coming back in as replacement air. I can't tell, so figured I would ask to be sure.

Maybe think about getting a longer propane hose when you can so you can put it all the way outside for safety. Would it be possible to angle the hoses to the left instead of right under the table, to give you a bit more length?

Also, for safety, I would move the fire extinguisher so you can access it easily from the exit side of the garage, like on the opposite wall or to the outer wall in the corner to the left of your torch. Where it is now means you would be moving away from the outside to get it, and possibly be hampered from escape by the car.

Enjoy your space (but make it as safe as possible.)!
Safety is always in the back of my head constantly. I will move the fire extinguisher to the opposite side of the garage toward the front. Thank you for the tip!

The exhaust tubing does extend quite far out of the garage. It goes out and around the corner. I do put down a long board across the bottom of the garage so this forces the fresh air to come in through the top of the garage door, it is very windy where I am, this also helped the decision to put the studio against that wall as opposed to the other side of the garage. I keep the flex tubing in the garage when the garage door is shut, and which is why I tried to mitigate the flex tubing as much as possible, but it can only stick out so far with rigid duct. My fan is pretty powerful, which is what I was nervous about in the very beginning of building the hood. I would like to add more Hardie Backer or Fire Retardant dry wall painted white to reflect as much heat and light as possible on the sides. This would prove to be much more efficient than the card board sides currently. This will probably get done in next day or two before I go back to my job.

The propane tank does not stay under the table when I am working on the torch, I grab it from under the bench and pull it as close to the garage door as possible, but I do think I should angle them left to give me more hose to stick it outside, another great observation and I will move them tomorrow before working.I really would like to run the hose along the back of the bench and out of the way, then just move the propane tank directly out of the garage. It honestly makes me more nervous outside, but I know it's a safety issue.

All great observations and I really appreciate the more knowledgeable here helping with safety. Some keep glass secrets, but never let a safety hazard go unnoticed!

Last edited by iBlackSunday; 2020-05-23 at 11:08pm.