View Single Post
Old 2011-11-16, 10:50am
Curmudgeon Engineering

It's really too small for 3 chairs. Two at most seems better to me since you have no 'desk'. Don't want to feel cramped and hemmed in. You also want an unobstructed path to the kiln from the bench with that precious hot glass object and a random chair could be a bitch to trip over. Possibly put kiln on roller cart; a little more flexible. I have my kiln on a roller tool cart and keep all my extra tools and graphite stuff in the tool cart. It doesn't get moved much but can be if needed. I like my torch facing the wall as I use a mirror on the wall to see the back side of the object but some peeps do not like having their back to the door. My bench is bolted to the wall but a free standing bench gives you more flexibility if you change your mind later. Perhaps put books above or below your glass storage; since glass is heavier I would put it on the lower level and books above. I used some metal shelving from Home Depot (heaviest they had) and found the particle board shelves were not adequate so consider adding to or replacing the shelving on any store bought shelving with sturdier stuff. More outlets the better. All lights can be on one circuit as they are minimal power users. Think about an outside light for those late night sessions. A fourth alternative is to have the bench across the end of the shed opposite the window end. Just some suggestions.

your layout sketches do not show the door or window so I'm only guessing at their locations; at bottom of sketch and on right side. Bottom arrangement doesn't seem to leave much room at the end of the bench esp with the doors closed. Perhaps you will only use one of the doors for entry.exit?

Last edited by cheng076; 2011-11-16 at 11:07am. Reason: adding content, spelling