View Single Post
Old 2014-11-16, 7:54am
Mary Lockwood

The fan will draw best with the straightest, shortest line between your workbench and the outside. Also, the make-up air is just as important. Ideally you will have a window or vent where fresh air comes in at a rate at least equivalent to what you are sucking out. If you don't have fresh air moving into the space, your fan won't draw as well and your air won't be as clean. If you're going to be burning through boro for hours at a time you need more ventilation than someone making tiny beads on a hothead a couple hours a week.

The vent pipe will be above or in front of your torch and the fresh air source should be from behind you when you're facing the torch so that the fresh air comes up and over you and gets drawn out with the bad air. This will give you the cleanest breathing air.

Biggest challenge there is heating the studio if you're in a cold climate because you're sucking the heated air out and cold air back into the shed. Radiant heat is the answer--heat YOU, not the room. I used to have to blow snow off my workbench to start a session so I know what cold working feels like and it sucks. Clamp lights with heat bulbs in them work great but you have to have enough amps to run everything.

Good luck. I like the fan you picked and it will definitely get you started as long as you have good make up air and a short, straight duct run. But I'd feel better more around 600cfm and even 1000 cfm if you're gonna be fuming.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.