View Single Post
Old 2012-12-09, 1:35pm

Default Goldstone, the story

Quote:
Does anyone know who has QUALITY goldstone stringers? I am emphasizing the word quality because I got some about about a year ago and the goldstone was so "watered down" with clear that it should have been illegal to sell. I refrain from mentioning from whom.

I have goldstone chunks at home and can pull my own but they turn out more coppery, even when I lightly encase with clear.

Thanks in advance

Duane
Pretty much 98% of the 104 goldstone stringers come from Effetre. The factory that makes the goldstone is in Italy. I have been there and the size of the boulder was as big as a sofa. There were two workers in chairs with hammers hammering away. They would divide the rocks they broke off into three different grades......small stars (used for Jewelry) large stares (sold to glass factories) and the green stuff which ends up in the landfill.
I am pretty sure that most factories use the large stars. I would think that the small stars could be used by Effetre if customers would pay more....would you? I am sure that I could have small star goldstone as a product if we would pay more.

So unless anyone is buying second quality goldstone stringers, everyone is using Effetre goldstone and the density of the color will change from time to time.

Do you know where the goldstone that you do not like was made, rather than from who you buy it from

And then there may be some unscruplious dealers who are watering the goldstone, one of which is not us. But after 30 years of importing glass I have seen the quality go up and down. And during production if there is a bit too much clear it will seem watered down. And on the other hand if there is not enough clear, the goldstone may burn.

Twenty-five years ago I worked with another glass artist to pull goldstone stringer for resale.......too much work and we would also get some that turned nasty like you report in your experiences.

Did I mention that we have goldstone stringers for sale? Goldstone stringers always discounted at Frantz Art Glass, the leader in the 104 glass industry.

Have a nice day

Mike

Frantz Art Glass Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Torch Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike's phone: 800.839.6712 ext 206