View Single Post
Old 2010-04-25, 1:25am

ooh, those are cut to reveal the chambers. Haven't made one in ages, but I make them by sandwiching a colour between 2 parts of clear glass. the colour must go right to the edge. then I coat the resulting post in powder, such as exotic red, heat it all in and pull it out into a taper while twisting the glass. If you heat and pull from the middle you have two tapers for two ammonites in one go. Then I spiral roll them up, melt it all in, flatten them somewhat and kiln. Once out of the kiln they get ground down on my diamond wheel to expose the chambers (ie past the twist axis so you don't have that central twist line). You don't need to polish them, I wash them with demineralised water after the grinding, let them dry on top of my kiln and then garage them inside, face up. Once they're hot enough, I punty them out, flamepolish the face, add a loop and put them back in for re-annealing.
hope that all makes sense.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Running a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
by Miema on LPG and oxy bottles and a GTT Mirage.