View Single Post
Old 2010-01-04, 1:13pm
Queen Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam View Post
The difference I see in tutorials and printed books, such as Corina's book, the printed books for the most part do not contain any "new" material. Almost all the techniques in Corina's book have been around for years, if not centuries. Corina did not develop these techniques on her own and write about them, but took general everyday techniques and compiled them into an incredible book. I bought one because I think it is important to support such a noble cause of preserving these techniques for future beadmakers. I recommended this book to the students in every beginning class I taught.

In tutorials, you are (hopefully) getting techniques that the author developed him/herself and this is cutting-edge technology - at least the ones I have seen. You don't generally get cutting-edge technology in a perfectly bound book. It's fresh and it's new and it is straight from the author's head to your computer screen. How much better could it get?
Hmmm.....not sure I can entirely agree with you Pam. When Corinna published Passing the Flame, it was cutting edge info for a lot of people at that time. Many would not have been able to start bead making without it. Of course people have been making beads for centuries, but how many publications were available from those centuries to learn and practice from? I can't imagine the undertaking it was to document those entire how to's and techniques and put them in a form where beginners could learn how to make a bead. I think it easy to say now it is just a beginner's book. But at the time, many of todays well know lampworkers started just there. It was a kind of cornerstone for many lampworkers, no? Heck, look at some of the early WC posts and see where a lot of our current great artists were then. Not much at all was available, and everyone relied on everyone else’s experimentation, documentation and sharing among artists. Copper green reacting with rubino was a discovery back then. And what was available as written documentation before Passing the Flame? Sure, it's no longer cutting edge, but it sure was then. And it's still the lampworking "bible" to many. I think she deserves the credit for it.

Karen Leonardo developed her own tools and techniques on pulling petals, etc. I think The Glass Workshop book has several innovative new techniques as well. So, I don't agree that most books don't have any new techniques. That stuff went fresh from the artists' head to a book ) I don't think many would people buy books if they had nothing new to offer.

But don't get me wrong, I love tuts! I admire you all, and I would love to see how each one of you makes your special thing.....be it a flower bead, or silver glass, etc. I just have to be very selective 'cause I wasn't born independently wealthy - darn it!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry