Thread: Homemade tools
View Single Post
Old 2008-08-05, 10:56am
Looking for my waistline

Stainless steel spoons...of all shapes and sizes! Hubby thinks I'm weird...I always go to look and see if there's any new spoons when we go shopping. They make great barrel marvers. I must have a dozen different shapes and sizes now. What to look for? Different curvatures, widths and sizes. Soup spoons make a deeper, wider barrel. Shallow teaspoons make narrower beads. Demitasse spoons make great baby barrels. It's a super cheap alternative to the more expensive tools out on the market.

Another great tool I use every torch session is my split end cheese knife. It's absolutely PERFECT for straightening the ends of tube beads or any other bead with a wonky end for that matter. The cheese knives are a little harder to find and can be pretty pricey, though. You can expect to pay as much for a good stainless cheese knife as you can for a decent graphite marver...sometimes more.