Thread: Frosty Tutorial
View Single Post
Old 2005-10-19, 7:27am
Hole Challenged

Default Frosty Tutorial

Hello all, I had posted this tutorial on a couple different forums last year and thought I would add it here as well. I hope you enjoy!

This is a basic tutorial for beginners who might like to make a snowperson for Christmas. I don’t show how to decorate your Frosty since I believe that is personal to each artist. I like to give you the basics; you provide your own voice. But … I would really love to see how you do decorate them.

Melodie

Photo #1. Make a large bead for the base of the snowman. Try to center as much as possible. Now make a smaller bead fairly close to the first, this will be the head. Do not forget to keep splashing the larger bead with heat. Since they are close together the larger bead will get some of the heat while applying the smaller bead but you still want to be careful. However, do not apply enough heat to lose the centering of the large bead. Now center the smaller bead.

Photo #2. Start applying heat to the middle-bottom of the larger bead. I marked the spot where you should apply the heat.

Photo #3. When it turns transparent (you want the glass to be movable) rotate the mandrel so the large bead is at the top. The hot glass will move down and touch the smaller bead. Turn the mandrel back to a horizontal position and continue to heat the joint to make sure it is fully fused. If you heat it too much the indention will be lost so be very careful in this step. It will fuse together about half way but just use a sharp thin blade (I use a window scraper with a single edge razor blade) to give more definition to the indention if needed.

Photo #4. Add a wrap of glass to the bottom of the large bead and melt in. This will give you the extra glass back that shifted towards the smaller bead and give you a nice snowball bottom. If you lost your pucker and this didn’t help to get it back then simply heat the bottom (and only the very bottom) and stand straight up. Be careful to not over do this step, you want a pucker … not a saggy bottom.

Photo #5. A finished snowman! Decorate your Frosty however you wish.

Photo#6. My Frosty