View Single Post
Old 2011-04-01, 11:16am
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasi View Post
I just did a bunch of different clears in pickle. The glass is very clean and beautiful. BUT, I find that the scummy glass is still fizzing up in the torch. The other clears look great, but I don't notice a difference between the pickle and cleaning the rods well before using.

Has anyone tested the glass in the torch and found a big difference between cleaned glass and pickled glass?
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
This is exactly what I found. No difference. The rods were just really nice and clean which can be done with regular dish soap and hot water IMO....ok don't yell at me

I believe it has more to do with the condition of the rods you get and pickling gets rid the oil and dirt packed in the scratches (especially deep ones) where surface wiping with alcohol can't get rid of. If you have rods that don't have a lot of scratches, there probably isn't much of a difference. And pickling surely doesn't help the glass that tends to bubble/fizz in the heat of the torch.

When I learned last October that the current batch of Effetre Super Clear at the time was an excellent non-scummy batch, I got some from four different vendors. Let's just say that some suppliers are rougher with the rods than others - and I notice a marked difference in those rods that have more and/or deeper scratches. Those can most likely be helped by pickling.

Just my opinion however, for what it's worth.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|