Short color List for a beginner:

* NS Amber Purple & Double Amber Purple
* NS Loki's Lipstick
* NS Blue/Red/Green Exotic
* NS Multi
* NS Turquesa
* NS Butterscotch & Caramel (Caramel is a stronger version of Butterscotch) *
* NS Blue Moon
NS Pomegranate or TAG Elvis (self-striking red with long working tolerance) - layer it over white (or even clear) for a lighter red
NS Onyx (very tolerant black)
TAG Blue Stardust for some sparkle - layer it over lighter colors - like butterscotch or star white.
* NS Mystery Adventurine for some more sparkle with silver color change fun - layer it like blue stardust or just use it as is for a darker effect
NS Star White (a bit more advanced - use less heat as it can boil until it is fully melted in, and even then you should baby it)
NS Lava or Goldenrod or Poppy or Cherry (more advanced - prone to boiling if not handled very carefully - but beautiful and worth the effort)

* Try CLEAR frit/dots/stringer/skip-tracing on these colors for interesting results. For more dramatic results reduce after melting in the clear. The colors without a * are more "WYSIWYG", though you can try clear on them too if you'd like.

You will quickly learn that a great many colors are members of the Amber Purple family, with similar working constraints and some modifications. Loki's lipstick is a good example of this.
I kept it to Northstar colors for simplicity - GA has near-equivalents of most of these colors but I don't know their names in many cases. GA Solara is actually one of my favorites, but I had to draw the line somewhere

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy