View Single Post
Old 2007-11-05, 7:12pm

Written by Heidi (Hot Coles) Tube Implosions
Hi guys! Sorry I haven't gotten back to you about the that I do. I use Simax 15.9mm tube, 2.4mm thick. The instructions below will give you an implosion much like the one shown.

I believe the colors I used in this one were teal and Solara. You will need 2-3stringers in the colors of your choice, 2 - 5mm clear rod (for punties) and 15.9mm (heavy wall) Simax tube.

1. Preheat your tube glass and then, using your first stringer color, apply dots to the outside of the tube, spacing this row evenly all the way around the tube very close to the edge.

2. With a different color, add another row of dots on the very end edge of the tube, spacing them between the dots of the previous row. This row of dots will actually become the center of your flower. If holding the tube in your left hand, this row is placed in front of the dots in the first step, to the right.

3. Using the same color as in the second step (or color of your choice), make a third row of dots behind your second row (these were made in the first step), again, spacing them between the dots of the previous round.

4. Make a total of 4-5 rows of dots (or more depending on how large you make your dots). Keep the dots about a 1/2" to 5/8" from the end.

5. Now for imploding. Keep your tube horizontal with the flame and begin to heat the end slowly until the tube closes (continually rotating). When I see that the closed end is about a quarter of an inch, I then press the end on my marver (mostly, I allow the weight of the rod to do the pressing)

6. Return the rod to the flame and hold the tube with the end pointing down about 35-45 degrees to the flame. Direct the flame on the tread of the imposion. Press gently on your marver. Repeat this step until you see that you have your implosion.

7. Optional: add black to the bottom of the implosion, heat and flatten until there is no longer a ridge and is smooth.

8. Cold punty to the bottom with 5mm clear rod. Now heat the tube just above your implosion. When soft, blow gently on the opposite end to make a bubble (careful not to blow it out, as shards are dangerous to breath). Place the bubble in the flame to remove tube from implosion.

9. Pull or cut off any unwanted glass (from the bubble), then heat to smooth out the top.

10. Cold punty to the edge of implosion and break off first punty. Heat and smooth any scar left by punty.

11. Add loop to top, grab with preheated tweezers, and break last punty and smooth out scar as before.

I usually put these right on my marver and batch anneal them later.

I sure hope this was helpful. If you have any questions or something just wasn't clear...let me know. Here are other examples of this type of implosion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.