View Single Post
Old 2009-09-12, 8:07pm
Your Royal Fritness

Default Brass Frit Tutorial

I have been playing with what I call "Brass Frit" for a couple of years now. Here is a tutorial on how I use it. You can purchase it from Mike at www.MikesBrassForGlass.com This baggie of brass frit will last you a long time Remember a little goes a long way.

Brass Frit Tutorial

Supplies needed

• Brass Frit from MikesBrassForGlass.com.
• Marver with brass spread out on it. I use my razor tool to move the brass around.
• Opaque glass.
• Clear glass.
• Razor tool.

Caution: Be careful when using brass frit. It is sharp and can cause injury.
Use Brass Frit only under a ventilation system.

Note: I used very little brass frit in these beads. Place the brass frit on your marver before starting your bead. Spread it very thin on the marver with your razor tool.

1. Make a tube bead of opaque glass and marver it into the length you want to your final bead to be.

2. Heat the surface of the glass until glowing and roll it in the brass frit. Then, marver the frit into the base glass.

3. Next, keep the bead below the flame and encase it in clear covering all the brass frit. I like a heavy encasement of clear because it adds a lot of depth to the bead. Do not place frit directly into the flame. It will spark and burn off the bead.

4. Heat the encased bead until glowing. You will see the gold bubbles form. Don’t heat your bead too long because it will bring bubbles to the surface of your bead. Once you start to see the bubbles form, pull the bead out of the flame. If you need more bubbles, reheat.

5. Finish decorating your bead and place it into the kiln.

Have fun and I would love to see what you create!

Dawn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Mustang Dawn; 2011-03-23 at 4:04am. Reason: spellling error