View Single Post
Old 2007-07-11, 5:36am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhhco View Post
Kiln or annealer? They are designed to operate at different maximum temperatures. Kilns up to 2400 F. Annealers up to 1200 F. Both have coils which can heat to over 2400 F. Kilns do fine at 2400 F... but some annealers burst into flames at 2400 F. If the annealer power relay fails closed, it goes into thermal runaway unless the control circuit has a 'policing monitor' which automatically senses the runaway condition and shuts down the power. Does yours?

Me
Hi Bill, Thanks for posting this. I think some of our reactions have to do with how our kiln reacts when there is a short outage. I know that mine turns off when there is a flash of power outage. I have to be here in case the power flashes (as it does frequently in South Florida) to turn the kiln back on. I do infrequently run out of the house to the post office or somewhere that I will be back in 15 minutes, but that's about it. I do that for the safety of my beads, not for the safety of my home. I've had this type of controller since 1998 and it has never gone up from where it is programmed, but it has shut off due to the power outages. I think it would scare me for it to go up after a power outage and I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable leaving it unattended in that case.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Blog
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.