View Single Post
Old 2009-03-06, 5:06pm

OK, I know that this sounds really stupid....but.....
It never even occured to me to ask any of the tutorial writers for a refund! The "fine print" says "no refund", and I accepted that when I made the purchase. It was part of the deal, and I knew that up front.

Maybe that is the entire point of this -- "I knew that up front." No, it isn't a "maybe" at all. It's the entire point. I'm willing to live up to anything that I knowingly agree to, whether it was clearly stated or just implied. In the case of tutorials, unless something else is stated, my personal impression of what is "implied" is:
1. COE is 104, unless stated in advance.
2. All materials and supplies are available for purchase through normal retail channels at the copyright date on the tutorial.
3. Tutorial will be about what is pictured on the front page or in the advertisment.
4. Tutorial will be in English unless stated otherwise.
5. The "implied" skill level is Beginner, and author will advise if higher skill levels are required.
6. Basic lampworking tools are adequate to follow along with the tutorial, unless specific tools are stated in advance.

There are obviously many more things that I would like to feel safe in assuming are true, but those are the most important points to me.

I don't have the ability to spend extended periods of time on the torch figuring everything out from scratch - that is why I buy books and tutorials. I am unable to travel to attend classes, don't know any other lampworkers in my area to share ideas with, and am totally over the moon when a tutorial is released that offers me an opportunity to learn from the experience of more advanced artists.

I'm laying here, recovering from my second major spinal fracture in just over 2 years (and the third time in all) and have to ration out the minutes that I can spend sitting at the torch. I can lay down and read or use the computer, and can take heavy-duty pain meds while doing those things. Can't do that at the torch. I have to rely on books and tutorials to fill in the gaps for me that my body won't let me struggle through on my own. It is, honestly and truly, very important to me that I know what I'm buying, and only spend money on things that will be of use. We all have limitations and basic requirements and needs - having true and accurate disclosure of products is important to me.

My ways may not have been the best, but, since I'm just a plain old human, I'll probably never be perfect. I just muddle through the best that I can. If my ways offend you, that is unfortunate. Are your ways always perfect? I applaud you if they are!

I didn't ask for my money back - I'm just asking that all tutorial writers think very carefully about what things are taken for granted or are implied, and take the time and care to spell out in advance, those things in their tutorials which don't fit that list. I don't want them to give away any of their secrets in advance, just tell me honestly if something "different" is going to be needed to do the tutorial exactly as written. If it can't be done as written, it isn't a "tutorial"!

Wishing for more Kevlar,
Birdy