View Single Post
Old 2012-11-11, 10:51pm
More ideas than talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
So, here are a few things that have crossed my mind over the years, and I am wondering what everyone's thoughts on them are... especially people who sell tutorials.

In general, it is considered poor form to reveal or teach a technique sold in a tutorial. However, there have been a number of situations in which I have had the following questions:

What if you have been practicing a technique which creates the same effect for many years? Once a tutorial on it comes out, I have often felt as if I should refrain from sharing my method on the forums, because I don't want to step on any toes or for people to think poorly of me as "that jerk who undermined so-and-so's tutorial sales".
I think we lost a lot of free exchange of information and techniques and "how to" once paid tutorials became the norm. I'm not trying begrudge anyone's ability to make a living when I say that, but shortly after the tutorial market "exploded" for want of a better word, if someone in the Tips and Techniques sections asked how to do something, and someone had a tutorial, then they were directed to the newly released tutorial rather than someone explaining the basic steps.

I bought a number of "how to" books when I first started, and of course they dramatically shortened alot of my learning curve in a number of areas. However I did note, when the information was in a printed version only people didn't have such an issue with reading, and then sharing the how to for a technique - after all - didn't we buy the book to learn?.

Suddenly information was "proprietory", and .some (reasonably) straight forward techniques suddenly felt liked they were “owned” by the tutorial author. I already knew how to do it, and now I can't share it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.