View Single Post
Old 2012-11-12, 10:28am
Dix Harrison

Kalera:

I can tell you've done considerable thinking about the "muddy" issues around tutorials. I've had these same thoughts. I would like to respond to your questions but I am also fearful of stepping on toes among the people who read and respond here on LE. I would certainly never chose to offend someone, but I am going to go ahead and take a risk and put my opinions about tutorials "out there."

Please keep in mind that I speak from the perspective of someone who is at an intermediate skill level. I've only been around lampworking about 4 years. That said, I have spent over 35 years (my entire career) as an educator. So, I'm sure that I am also influenced by that experience.

Here goes. (I'm going to try using some metaphors to describe how I think.)

I believe there is this LAMPWORK BANK that contains EVERYTHING the universe has to offer about glass. It has two kinds of currency: KNOWLEDGE (what is known about glass) and SKILLS (what can be demonstrated--the process/procedures). When an artist creates a certain style of bead (product), s/he uses a combination of what s/he KNOWS about design, what s/he KNOWS about the properties of glass, and what s/he can DO with materials, tools, or techniques.

IMHO, no person "owns" the knowledge and skills in the LAMPWORK BANK. Just like, no person "owns" the knowledge and skills in the WATERCOLOR PAINTING BANK. Some people DO however, have a gift for helping others learn by creating instructional materials--print tutorials and videos. These are the textbooks and visual learning tools of the lampworking world. Our teachers spend considerable time and effort putting together print/video tutorials that explain how a particular product (bead) can be reproduced. They are invaluable guides. They help us learn--and thus help us tap into the experience and expertise of others. The actual learning tools themselves (documents or digital recordings) are protected formally and informally by copyright law. Duplication without permission is not permitted.

It is reasonable to expect different artists to have common knowledge and levels of skill. There is bound to be duplication in design elements, there will be coincidence, and there will be similarities in product. Essentially, that means there is no product [glass bead, sculpture, marble, etc.] that can be considered proprietary.

As a group, I think the members of the lampworking community do a pretty darn good job of acknowledging each other's talents and contributions. Common courtesy and pure intent will go a long way in perpetuating this situation. I would have no problem saying, "This is one of the processes/techniques I first saw used by Jane Doe in her beads. I think it is particularly effective with high contrast colors, so here's how I adapted it into my design." If we can just be kind to each other and acknowledge what everyone has to offer, I think it will be of great benefit to the whole group.

My two cents worth.

Dix