View Single Post
Old 2013-11-25, 10:04pm
Lizard rescue squad

I wish I could offer you something useful Evelyn, but I really can't. The physical characteristics of cadmium-selenium glasses make them a problem when doing the type of work that you want to. It sounds somewhat ridiculous, but when worked long enough this type of glass can actually become incompatible with itself.

One thing that can help is to keep it thin in order to help minimize the overall stress level. That's a large part of the reason that using a clear core helps reduce cracking. Keeping the layer of yellow thin enough can help keep the overall stress below the breaking point.

Another thing is to work as quickly as possible to minimize expansion changes. Unfortunately, that sounds pretty difficult with the work you want to do.

The last and most reliable potential solution - as completely unhelpful as it is - would be to use a different color.

Brad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.