View Single Post
Old 2017-03-06, 7:06pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonP View Post
I started 20 years ago on a Nortel Minor burner and still use mine as backup, and select it at class venues if they have one. Nice torch to teach with.

But switched to a Nortel Mega Minor - not much more expensive, and a bit hotter. Nice little torch. I work with 104 glass.

If you think you'll play with boro, the Mini CC is hotter and would work well with 104 and smaller boro work. I don't use it because it has more peripheral (side) heat than the Nortel's, but that can be an advantage for some work. It's just my preference.

Is there anyplace you can go to test torches before you buy?

If you could, I *highly* recommend the ISGB Gathering in Las Vegas at the end of the month. There's an open torch event and you could try out a lot of varieties and maybe even buy what you want at the vendor event.

edited to add: If you're going to do hollow functional pieces, a hotter/more powerful torch would be better.
I don't really know of anyplace we're I can test before buying, I've been into lampworking for only a year and for what I know it's not very popular out here in California (818 area). San Francisco is the closest place I know of that lampworking culture is rich.

I like to hear more about the event you mentioned tho, the only ones I know about is champs and glass vegas.