View Single Post
Old 2018-09-16, 10:47pm
Phill

From what I remember moving the motor won't make that much difference, the duct work "resistance" to flow is going to be similar whether it is sucking it in one side or pushing it out the other.

Your idea of adding a "skirt" to the back and two sides will help with getting the flow to go more directly to the duct/motor.

Trouble is you are drawing flow from 360 degrees around the hood.
If you can block the source of ''side flow" from the back and at least part of the sides you will increase the efficiency of moving the fumes out of the work zone and into the draft of the motor.
It will also increase the amount of air that is flowing over your shoulder to keep the fume cloud from entering your breathing space.
You only need 5 or 10 % of the air to come over our shoulder but you need to have some thing to keep you from from breathing in the work fumes.

Now that you can see how the smoke does not quite make it to the ducting you can imagine that the heavier particulates that will boil off as you liquefy the glass wont even get captured in the fume flow and they will settle out onto your hands, tools, glass rods and anything on the work bench.

Keeping in mind that a lot of the colorants in glass are heavy metals like lead, cadmium and the like you might understand better why I was so insistent on getting as high a CFM ventilation system as you can possibly afford to start out with.

If your vent flow is weak you will need to constantly decontaminate your hands, tools and bench top if you don't want to spread the heavy metals all over the home where your kids, spouse and pets live.

If you do a little research on the Portland Or. glass maker having to shut down for a while a few years back you will see that it doesn't take a whole lot in quantity to turn an area into a toxic hazard decontamination site.

Getting it out of the house at sufficient velocity to mix with the air out side properly takes more than a simple box fan like some folks mistakenly think.

As a side note: if your rig causes too much noise in the house you can deaden some of it by sandwiching rubber mud flaps between your lumber and the joists as well as tying your chains to sections of firm rubber like old shoe soles.
Anything that can absorb the vibration a little will help a lot.

I have mine suspended from screen door springs.