View Single Post
Old 2007-05-29, 6:26pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLilyDesigns View Post
I just got my Terra today! I'm on a Hothead and actually, I got a gorgeous purple right off the bat! I've been doing some reading on LE lately, in preparation. Someone (maybe Sarah Hornik) said to heat it a lot and then cool to a no-glow state, then heat a bit again for a brownish color, then repeat to get the good colors to blossom.

Well, I'm confused, because I got no brownish color, only the most amazing purple! When I tried repeating the process, the color actually became less and less. Go figure.

On my next practice bead, I did exactly the same thing (I thought )
and it came out almost all a pale greenish color. Where'd the purple go??

On the third bead, I used a base of regular ivory and just did little swipes on it with the Terra. The color developed immediately! It was stunning until I thought I'd try to get more out of it by repeating the cooling process. It's still pretty, but lost some of the magic.

Then I did a black base with simple dots. I couldn't for the life of me get any color reaction, so I tried encasing. Then these lovely, pastel hues appeared.

Anyway, here's the thing. I tried going pretty hot, but actually, I found the lower the better! You know when the HH is so low, it seems like it's on the verge of going out? Well, I got the best color when the flame was just a little more open than that. So from 1-10, I was working at about a 3-4.

Of course, I ordered from the odds/shorts sale, so the rod I used happened to be like, a 3mm. Maybe that makes a difference somehow, since it obviously heated quicker. I'll post some pics when I get them out of the kiln.
Sounds like the second bead did not get hot enough to ever strike properly in the first place. You want to get it hot hot hot ONCE at the beginning and then let it cool until you see some amber/brown starting to develop. Waft it in and out of the flame to get the amber to spread over the whole bead.

The key to getting additional colors from Terra is the reheats need to be VERY GENTLE - low low orange at most. All of your shaping needs to be completed before striking. If you reheat it enough to shape it after you have struck color, you will lose that color and it will go pale and milky on you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.