View Single Post
Old 2007-11-11, 11:41am
Gentleman of Leisure

A "funnel" can certainly be effective. There has been little published formation on how to calculate CFM needed to have a acceptable air flow to ensure lampworkers safety. Most applications for funnel system I have seem are usually applied to welding industry. Usually in welding application there is visible evidence (smoke) of how effective ventilation is performing. Unfortunately in out endeavors there is little smoke or evidence of if ventilation is effective. When pictures show up in lampwork studios there is usually not and documentation to determine its effectiveness. At this time I can only suggest that you use funnel opening as big as practical, use at least 6 inch ducting (smooth wall) maybe larger and at least 350-500 cfm blower and extensively test system with torch "on" and lots of "smoke" (either real or synthetic) to test effectivenesses of system....

Positioning of funnel will probably be critical as to how effective you can capture combustion plume. Torch "size" may also play a part in effectiveness...

IF you try this system I would like to know your results and also what are the specifications of your system. Maybe with some documentation we can establish parameters for this technique for ventilation.

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal