View Single Post
Old 2008-06-08, 11:55am
Curmudgeon

A "fume test" that's recommended by my local Workman's Compensation Board is to use an incense stick. Light the stick and move it to every position in your work station that you might be generating fumes from. If the fumes are all directed out the exhaust, your exhaust system works the way it should. If there is some spot that doesn't thoroughly exhaust the fumes, you need to improve or adapt your system.

Although there are numerus formulas for what should work, the field inspectors consider this test to be acceptably accurate. I understand a similar test is used to test efficiency of home heat exchanger systems.

FWIW, I've seen numerous fume extraction installations that easily passed this test but were considerably lower capacity than is so frequently recommended on internet boards. Perhaps, like many things, the design is as important as the capacity.

One thing that was adamantly stressed by WCB, but I don't recall ever seeing mentioned on the boards, is duct elbows. WCB suggests that 90 deg elbows never be used but instead use double 45 deg.

DeBrady Glassworks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- - Glass Campus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan