View Single Post
Old 2006-05-13, 6:03pm
glass backwards

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley
Step one, get yourself a ball of glass one the end of a punty. The design is up to you.

Next, squish it flat like a lollipop... different thickness will yield different hearts.

This is the super secret step I've never revealed before... take a pair of $1 scissors from the office supply store (plastic handles, stainless blades). Heat up the gather again and cut it from top to bottom of the pancake.

Now you put it back in the fire and shape... This is easier shown than explained, so hopefully I can get some pics...

When you have the lobes the shape you want, hang the whole thing upside down and turn in the flame. Direct most of the heat towards the bottom and let droop. The top lobes will fall together and the bottom will stretch out.

Once you have the general shape you want, you just have to put on a loop. Normally one lobe is higher and that's the one I put the loop on.

For the loop, I put about a half inch of rod on the spot I want the hoop to be on. Then I heat the glass and flip with pliers into a loop. Again, this would be easier to show than to tell.

Melt in the backside of the loop and reheat to shape as desired.

Now, punty up with a cold weld to the loop.

Pull off and shape the bottom of the heart, hold loop with pliers or tweezers and snap off cold welded punty. Fire polish the punty mark and behold the beauty you just made...

Hello...
I found your tutorial on hearts and i've seen your pics and i love them...but i'm new to lampworking and i may be dense but i don't quite get what your saying...do you have a picture tutorial ?

thanks
Leann