View Single Post
Old 2006-07-17, 5:10am
Still makin' flowers...

Default Making Loops

Leann asked a question regarding photos and it really turned out it was the loops that were a problem, so I wrote the following to her... I'm sure there are tons of ways to do them, but this is what works for me. She uses a HH and soft glass, but its all the same -

Use clear glass for the first few times since its so stiff over the HH. Before you pull off the tip of the heart, add the loop to one side of the bumps on top.

Start by heating up one of the bumps onto which you'll add the loop. Then, heat a dollop of clear, and attach the two together. Pull the clear at a 45 degree angle from the heart, as if you are pulling a thick clear stringer. Make certain that you pull this OUTSIDE of the flame, and pull very slowly.

Melt off this thick clear stringer at about 1 1/2 inches.

Now, turn your hothead down as low as you can without it going out. THIS IS THE TRICK! Heat the stringer section closest to where it attaches to the heart, You only want to heat a little tiny bit of the stringer, and only enough to barely make it move when you grab it with tweezers. Remember not to put your tweezers into the flame. Work your way down the length of the stringer, going back and forth between the loop and the actual heart so the heart stays flame annealed and doesn't get too cold, until you are at the very end. Then hit the place where the loop end attaches to the heart with your flame.

Flame anneal the whole piece, pull off the punty, and pop the heart into the kiln.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
--NEW and Updated Beading Tutorials for all levels
!

Last edited by HannahRachel; 2006-07-17 at 5:26am.