View Single Post
Old 2009-07-24, 7:01am

Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreFiend View Post
I have used some of the Devardi Tan, Salmon, and Blue Green, but my favorite so far is the Champaign Rose. It is absolutely AWSOME with Aurae, reducing to a golden rose color where the Aurae fumes the surrounding glass.

There is another great hint that I can give anyone that wants to try it: Encase a Devardi color with a "special" glass like Aurae or Triton, and pull a thin stringer. Then, use the stringer as you normally would. Melt the stringer enough to anneal it to the bead, and reduce/strike the glass as needed. Because of the stiffer nature of Devardi, the stringer is much easier to use than one that is "softer", and stays raised on the bead instead of melting into the base. I have this technique to thank for my ability to do really nice curlyQ stringer work. After I practiced with the Devardi stringer, I was able to use the Aurae stringer because I understood how to control the movement without worrying about the stringer disappearing as I worked with it. Lol, I think of it as "stringer training wheels"!

I have always had wonderful, friendly, wicked fast service from Reenie and Paula at Flamekissed Glass and Flamedame, and they have my loyalty as a buyer. There is, however, a place in my repertoire for the properties that Devardi offers.

This is not the greatest of pictures, but the base ring for this BHB is Champagne Rose, on top if Goldstone, with reduced and encased Aurae punch-eye dots.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for reading.

Desa
Desa,
Beautiful bead! The stiffness of the stringers also sold me on Devardi Glass. I thought I was "stringer impared" until I started using this glass.
The new colors are great. I have also seen samples of the new dicro rods and luster rods, which should arrive this fall. The colors and prices are unbeatable. They are currently working on silver glass too.
Jim