View Single Post
Old 2010-06-05, 5:56pm

Here's a little rundown for flesh tunnels, I've only done it a few times but it might help someone out.

Start with piece of tubing with a point handle and closed on the other side.

decorate tubing however you want your final piece to look.

at this point i generally clear encase with rod or sleeve with some standard wall thats a bit larger so that the metals and chemicals that are in the colored glass are will not be making contact with your skin.

heat the whole thing up and do a tube pull out of it. make sure to pay attention to the size because the final size will be whatever size your tube pull is.

this is where one would let the tube pull cool and then take it to the tile saw or glass bandsaw and cut it up into 1/2 to 3/4 sections (larger depending on how much you want sticking through on each side)

Pre-heat the sections in the oven and punty up to one of the cut edges, or if you have nice cold seals you can punty up to the barrel so that you can ream each side at the same time without changing puntys.
use your bowl push, reamer, triangular flare tool, whatever your comfortable with and ream each side out slightly.

remove punty and throw in the oven.

you could also work off the tube pull if you don't have a saw, it just makes it a bit more challenging.

I've never worked any soft glass so i wouldn't know where to start there.

for talons like some of the previous pictures i recommend bending upwards to prevent stress in the glass.

if you have contemporary lampworking (will have to check whether its Vol. I or II.) they have a write up in there for making hollow beads off tubing, which is the same concept.