View Single Post
Old 2018-09-01, 10:14pm
Phill

I spent the last 10 years of my 17 years in the Navy as the department safety guy so the first thing I looked for in your lists was an extinguisher.

The next was a smoke alarm.

Lighting would be another point to focus on.
Boro glasses are wicked dark from what I have been told and I suggest both incandescent and fluorescent.
A stick of fluorescent will give you a straight line on your glass and you can use that line to look for bumps and shape distortions.
You are probably going want some serious gloves for opening and closing the kiln while it's hot but as I only work soft glass I don't know if you really need them.
You will have to check the boro threads.

You may want a torch mounted shield to keep the radiant Infrared and UV off of your face.

A heater under the bench should give you a little longer torching season and I have heard of folks using clear bubble wrap on their windows to give some more insulation from the cold while still letting some daylight in.

Also you might want to run a duct of make up air from one of the other windows ( 10 feet away from you exhaust outlet ) over to your bench so you can keep some of warmer air around you and not have it go up the ventilation while you torch.

Sounds to me like you have caught the addiction pretty deeply.

Send my condolences to you bank account!

Last edited by Speedslug; 2018-09-01 at 10:16pm.