View Single Post
Old 2007-06-21, 5:05pm

Default Encasement breakthrough in this tutorial too!

I just sent a pm to Amy in case she isn't checking this thread and this is what it said. Bet you will like this method too, Judy!

"Thanks once more for adding more details to your petal bead tutorials.

I have to tell you that this time there was a real gem in the details for me that will apply to more than this style bead.

Although I read and watch every book or video I can get my hands on, I am still on a HH and have only taken a 2 day class when I first started lampworking 2.5 years ago.

Encasing has come along with lots of PPP, but I had never seen your tip re adding extra casing (but only on top of the other casing.) Since the HH can't melt big globs of the encasement, I am always coming up short on the quantity needed to fully cover beads (of this or other types.) Often I get a shadowy look at the ends and/or not enough coverage and just less-than-optimal ends on the beads.

Today I tried your tip of adding "collars" of encasement at the sides on top of the first centered encasement layers, and, eureka - I think it worked - at least the bead looked much better going into the kiln than others I've made.

I have added extra encasement before - but always tried to add it next to the first layers. You're right this is not ideal.

Well, I just wanted to say thanks personnally and wasn't sure if you were still following the thread."