Thread: i could puke..
View Single Post
Old 2006-12-05, 5:54am

Yeah, you can use a tripod above a photo cube. But it's a thousand time easier if you invest in a sideways-arm tripod. (A tripod is a good investment if you're going to the trouble of setting up a cube. I'd get a cable release too.) But this kind of arm-sideways tripod makes it incredibly easier to use with a cube. I struggled for quite some time with the camera on the bottom of the central post, hanging down between the tripod legs, with the camera pointing down into the cube. BIG pain in the butt, let me tell you! The width between the legs was smaller than the smallest light cube. Argggh! Big wrestling match with the cube.

You can also get swivel heads for tripods that allow you to point the camera straight down from the top of the tripod post, if that is your preference, but you still have to jam the cube down between the tripod legs. Bottom line is that I have tried them all and the sideways arm is sooooooooo much easier than all of the other set-ups. Night and day!!! The camera is held off to the side of the tripod, right over the cube. And so, like I said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanMD View Post
There are tripods that allow you to position the arm so it's reaching out to the side of the tripod proper, making it MUCH easier for you to keep everything parallel. These kinds of set-ups allow you to avoid the tripod-straddling-the-jewelry problem. If you are interested in info on this kind of adaptable tripod, let me know and I will provide more information on the one I have.)
Jan
Why struggle when there is a solution out there? Plus, the sideways arm tripod can be set up with the post in the middle, just like a regular tripod. So you get two tripods in one. Brilliant!

Should I take a pic of my set-up and post it? Would that help?

Jan

Last edited by JanMD; 2006-12-05 at 6:05am.