View Single Post
Old 2012-02-20, 10:34pm

Default Oxygen Tank Ownership (Size T)

Hi,

My name is Stacy and I have neen working in warm glass for almost a year now. For 5-6 years before that i did stained glass. I started with a fat boy and a plumbling torch from Harbor Freight (yes, it can be done) and have since moved on to a Nortel Minor Bench Burner. My question isn't about the torch, but the oxygen tanks.

I started out with a size B, 20 cf tank. Through a lot of searching I actually found and bought a size "T" tank. At 330cf, I believe it is the largest tank you can get. I had no issues with the tank. Its like the propane, you take it in to exchange it and they give you a new one. Not only that but the B tank exchange is $17 and the T tank is $23.

The problem today was the exchange. When my husband went in to exchange the tank the guy running the counter told him that the tank was stolen! Apparently according to this guy no one anywhere ever is allowed to own a size t tank. You can only lease them from the company.

Now, in looking at some of the welding forums that my husband goes to, they talk all the time about lease vs. buy. None of them talk about not being allowed to own a tank. I know in some states you actually get a title to the tank like a car.

Has anyone ever heard of not being able to own an oxygen tank? I am inclined to think that the guy was being a horses rear end. He did exchange the tank, I think he was trying to swindle my husband into paying for a lease.

Have any of you ran into anything like this?

Thanks,

Stacy