View Single Post
Old 2006-06-02, 9:24pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfie
Where am I in the getting-it-to-turn-colors process when everything just goes gun-metal gray and stays there? Is that beyond toasted or not toasted enough?

It's funny but when I started out, I got nice colors from the raku -- I guess that was beginners luck. Now I can't get it to do anything but either stay kaki beige or that dull metal color (which is not pretty and eats up the whole bead sometimes).

However, I am also wondering if raku frit ages poorly. The container I'm using now is the same container I started using last August and I've wondered if it has absorbed too much moisture or something. Is there anyone who has had success with the same container of raku frit after many, many months?

Giselle
Hi Giselle,

First I would need to ask if you're using a torch with oxygen & gas mix. If so, the gunmetal grey would indicate that you're using a reducing flame that is too rich in propane. Try working your bead in a more neutral flame by either boosting your oxygen or reducing your propane. Raku is loaded with silver, and will reduce (have the metals brought up to the surface) very easily. This can be very pretty too, but if you want those gorgeous colors to show, use a neutral flame.

Also, I would doubt that your raku has gone bad. Glass is, for the most part, non-porous and I would imagine that it will be as good 20 or 30 years from now as it was when you first purchased it.

Why not try some encased dots to get you going. Make a base bead, and using a stringer of raku, apply your dots but don't melt them in. Once you have all your dots on, heat each dot one at a time and flaten with a metal tool. (You can use an old butter knife) You will notice the dot gets really dark when you chill and flaten it. THAT'S GOOD!!! Now just waft your bead in the flame to keep it warm, but don't melt everything in. Now encase all your little dots with drops of clear. At this point you will see some nice blues and purples, and they will look even nicer when you take them out of your kiln. This will be a good excercize in chilling your raku, and will help you know what to look for.

Good luck, and let us know how you make out!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nortel Minor with one Concentrator