Thread: Make Up Air?
View Single Post
Old 2013-09-01, 11:51pm
TJ

Default Uh-oh. Make-up air vent not pushing air. What's going on?

So I got my venting all in, just have not permanently secured the makeup vent in the window yet.

When I did the incense test, it went out the exhaust duct quite nicely. (I still plan on adding a back baffle though.)

But the make-up air vent was pretty much dead.

We closed the door to the room; whoa, lots of air sucking in from around and under the door!

Tried sealing the bottom of the door with a blanket. THEN, the make-up air vent started blowing well.

What's going on? I fear you will tell me that the static pressure is too high due to the corrugated ducting, and the bends to get it behind the torch make it even worse. And, as a result, it is much easier for the universe to draw air from the rest of the basement than to use the makeup duct. And then... please don't say this.... you'll advise that I have to rip it out and spring for the expensive non-flex duct for the makeup vent. (Noooooooo..ahhhhh)

But it IS 10 feet of slightly curving 12" ducting on the outside, despite it being narrowed down to 6" on the inside of the room. I thought that would suffice.

Ultimately, I need to know... can the Make-up air come from the rest of the house first, then default to the makeup vent when the room pressure drops?
My hubby fears all the warm air in the house will be removed by the fan and we will be left with a gigantic heating bill... is this correct?

Or should I always close and block off the door so that it only draws return air from the makeup duct and not the rest of the house? But then I think, no fresh air from behind me at all, that can't be good either, right?

(By the way, the duct is positioned such so that the -20C winter air won't kill me if it coming behind the torch.)

Thanks!
(I did search MAKEUP AIR before posting this, could not find anything about this makeup air not moving, so your help is appreciated!)
My Mission and metier: to mindfully and meticulously master the movement of marvelous molten, both mentally and manually, in order to metamorphosis a melting mass into meretricious, memorable makings.