View Single Post
Old 2010-01-11, 11:15am

Default Thread for Bead Crochet

Don't stress about the cro-sheen thread. In fact what several of us have already will be enough for dozens of people to start a practice string with. After you get the hang of it, you'll want to do your actual work with a finer thread. Several veteran bead crocheter favor 'C-lon' for its strength. Recently I've been reading about 'Jean Stitch Thread' as being a good choice because it's strong, smooth, doesn't stretch (100% polester), and easily fits even smaller bead sizes.

Bring some beads -- size 8 or size 6 -- Yes, a good way to learn is to string them in a sequence of six, but with several people bringing some beads, we can get a mix from each other's stash. So too, don't stress if you don't have 6 different colors.

Hooks: Find a small steel hook to fit the thread. The hooks we're talking about are pretty fine. It's a Steel Hook we're using, not an aluminum hook, the sizing is quite different. See the hooks on the green field here: http://www.jessica-tromp.nl/crochet_...ersion%201.JPG
(if you're practicing with Pony Beads you'll have to have larger thread, and a larger hook.)

About Jean Stitch Thread from: http://www.beadwrangler.com/insidethreads.htm#Presencia

Jean Stitch Thread - What a find! Jean Stitch is a 100% spun polyester thread with an equivalent thickness of size "D" silk thread. It feels very soft, luxurious and smooth and is very strong. Jean Stitch comes on 200-yard spools. There are now 26 solid colors available. I worked with YLI to add a gray color Jean Stitch and now it is available. You will find Jean Stitch thread in solid colors at Beadwrangler Mall. Jean Stitch is a twisted thread that is luxurious in texture and sheen. It is machine washable, dry cleanable and colorfast. This thread is easy to crochet or knit with and the fiber/ply does not easily separate. Jean Stitch is much stronger for bead crochet ropes and larger bead crochet or knit bags than cotton fibers. I have a bead crocheted purse, about 10" long with over 500 grams of beads using Jean Stitch thread. I would never have imagined making this purse until I discovered Jean Stitch.

Jean Stitch can be used for crocheting or knitting with and without beads. Seed Beads size 6/0 through 14/0 will fit on Jean Stitch. I usually switch to thinner thread when working with size 13/0 and smaller seed beads. Jean Stitch can be used for satin stitch and other embroidery techniques when using fabrics and counted cloth that allow for the thread thickness. Jean Stitch can be used as warp thread in loom weaving for tapestries that do not require heavy warp threads. Jean Stitch can be used as weft thread on small tapestries. Jean Stitch makes great macramé' thread for fine work. Try it as warp threads for pin weaving when you want to use seed beads rather than larger beads in a piece. Metallic threads can be combined with Jean Stitch in any of these techniques. I string seed beads onto Jean Stitch and Fine Metallic thread at the same time when crocheting some items for special effects and then add metallic threads on the surface as embellishment. String beads on Jean Stitch and make beaded braids. Finish the ends with crochet, stitchery or other techniques. I have one multiple bead strand necklace using Jean Stitch thread and I added bead crochet to the Jean Stitch ends for a strong support to the bead strands. I have hooked the bead strands on doorknobs more than once and the Jean Stitch did not break.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Playing with Fire!; 2010-01-11 at 7:10pm.