View Single Post
Old 2011-09-29, 4:50pm

Default Fireworks question

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the site and looking forward to getting to know everyone. I've been making jewelry for a while (chainmaille silversmithing) but this is my first excursion into the world of glass. I have been playing around with my new equipment (Fireworks beginners set) since Saturday and have been reading up on it and watching youtube instructional videos. Here are two things that have come up for me. I was hoping someone might have some insights for me.

I am working with a Fireworks starter set. I'm sure it's not the best setup but do any of you know whether the flame is a little too cold on this equipment (MAPP gas)? I have trouble heating the glass rods quickly enough to get a nice flow (104 COE). On some videos I have seen people pick up the rods, stick them in the fire and are getting a nice flow from them pretty quickly . Maybe I'm putting the rods into the wrong part of the fire but I thought I'm doing it right.

I am also wondering about proper removal of glass waste. Should I just throw failed experiments and glass rod stubs away or is there a better use for them?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I would really appreciate hearing your suggestions.

Harry