View Single Post
Old 2020-06-17, 4:58pm
Phill

About the Natural Gas versus Propane thing; I read it in a post or a link to a chemical study.

It said that the btu content of propane (this was some 10 years ago I think, they have changed some of the chemistry in commercial propane a little since then) was something on the order of 5 times more than the btu content of house hold natural gas.

These numbers come from the chemicals themselves and the pressures and volumes of fuel wont change the btu value becasue it is measured at some lab standard for each.

Increasing volume and or pressures will change the heat flame on your torch but the oxygen to fuel chemistry btu values will hold for given quantities.

I agree that my little Cricket would kick a lot more butt if I had it on NG at some 10 or 20 times the flow rate.

I do have the hook ups to put propane on my cricket and it will suck all the oxygen my 10L Devilbiss can put out.

But I am a tinkerer at best and since I don't want to haul a propane tank in and out in a Minnesota winter I hooked it up to the back of my kitchen stove.

My Navy safety training won't allow me to comfortably leave a propane tank inside the house if I am not actively using it so I found a way to play with molten glass without a lot of hassle.

Now, if my next house ( we are moving in the next few years) is plumbed for propane as the heat source, like a lot of the rural houses here in farm country are, then me and my cricket have plans for some light boro work and maybe even some paper weights.