View Single Post
Old 2017-11-27, 5:56pm
HotFlash Designs

Default Repurposing an "outbuilding" as studio space

Hubby and I gathered the tools, respirators, ladder etc...to "gut" this building down to the studs. As I posted in the bathroom that day, while trying to figure out where the "droppings" on the floor were coming from, I looked up and said to him "Is that a bat?". Hubby picked up a long piece of trim board (maybe 12 feet) and poked around by the dark spot in the ceiling joist. No movement, but as soon as he touched the actual darkness, the darkness hissed at us.

At this point we are totally "eyes UP" looking for other creatures in the ceiling only to find a freakin SNAKESKIN coming out from behind a piece of plywood sort of nailed to the studs.

Hubby calmly picked up all of his tools and on his way out the door said "Yea, that's it for me." We paid a local guy (young 20 something) to rip out the "walls" and insulation. He got rid of the bats too.

So it's 16 X 24. all but an 8 X 8 section will be studio. I forgot to take a picture before we put a real door on it. I'm not sure why they had insulation in there to begin with, as it wasn't sealed up. They have sliding doors in. but theres also about 6 inches of totally open to the outside all the way above them. We boarded it up, and our new windows will ship next week.

The building has it's own electrical service and was wired as a work shop of some sort. We yanked all of the old wiring and are starting with new.
Attached Images

Be Curious. Not judgmental.